Friday, November 27, 2009

The Skinny on Skinny Jeans

As many of you have already guessed, I am absolutely infatuated with skinny jeans. It took a few seasons and multiple trips to various fitting rooms until I finally warmed up to this trend. Recently, one of my friends asked about curvy girls and skinny pants and I became very intrigued. In an article I wrote nearly a year ago and re-worked for my blog a few weeks back, I discussed issues with body types and trends. Once again, I will stress that what you wear and how you wear something depends on your confidence.
From my personal experience, skinny jeans need to fit just right... everywhere. I have always played sports which contributed to my curvier figure (but mostly curvy legs). This always discouraged me from even trying on a pair of skinny jeans. However, the minute I stepped outside of my comfort zone and tried a pair of stretchy, skinny denim, I fell in love with the silhouette.
The best way to make skinny jeans work with a curvier figure is to invest in something with stretch; the more stretch, the better the pants will hug your body. Purchasing a loose pair of skinny jeans will create the illusion of a bigger figure, which is quite unflattering. Paige Premium Denim is a great company that is based on creating jeans for curvier women. Although they are not very budget-friendly, you can truly invest in the perfect skinny silhouette which will flatter a curvier figure. The best part is that these jeans will last you a lifetime (as long as you take care of them!).
Keep the wash dark. Dark colors are your best friend! Not only can you stretch your wardrobe by purchasing dark denim (which will be versatile for day or night and/or casual or slightly dressed-up) but you will transform your legs in a very positive way. You can create the illusion of longer lines with a darker pair of skinny jeans and heels (but whatever you do, stay away from flats!!!). Stay away from lighter washes because they will make your legs look bigger in a not-so-friendly way.
Most of all, have fun! I always say to have fun with trends and have fun making them work with your style and figure. If you are hesitant to purchase skinny jeans, buy an inexpensive pair from Old Navy or H&M. These stores offer a ton of skinny styles in tons of colors. You would be surprised at how flattering a pair of skinny jeans can be on a curvy figure. So give them a try, follow these tips, and find a pair that works for you.

What kind of jeans do you prefer and WHY? And how do you feel about skinny jeans on your body type?


*Images: http://www.denimblog.com
http://farm4.static.flickr.com

1 comment:

  1. Just bought two pairs of dark wash jeans, one bootcut, one straight. I'll let you know if I ever find a pair of skinny jeans that don't make me feel like a stuffed sausage! Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete