Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Rent's Due: Frugal, Yet Oh Sooo Awkward

Rent is due and I am here to share a wonderfully awkward story about my most recent Fashion Friendly & Frugal adventures at Victoria's Secret. In the past, bra shopping has been relatively easy for me - my lovely lady lumps stopped growing around my Freshman year of high school - especially when I find a bra I absolutely love because I buy multiples of that style. Anywho, I had two coupons for VS that were going to expire come September 1, so I set out to use them yesterday ($10 off two separate bras, so frugal!).
I knew what I wanted, the Ipex in a demi cup, my usual size; easy. Not so much. I could not find the bra anywhere and the first employee that approached me said they no longer make the Ipex. WHAT?! So she picked out some bras for me and lead me to the fitting rooms. Once we were safely inside the waiting area she asked if I have been measured recently, then proceeded to wrap her scary little measuring tape around me as my answer failed to make the short journey from my brain to my mouth. "You're a 32 1/2" she said. No I'm not, I thought. I'm a 34, I have been the same size my whole adult life! "You could probably go up a cup size too", she chimed in. Dear lord, what did I get myself into?
As she rummaged through the drawers in the fitting room, I stood there awkwardly waiting to see what she would give me. I felt like I was shopping for training bras with my mom. All of the fitting room attendants were about 18 and kept giving me the stink eye like, "has she ever shopped for a bra before?", you know, the way adolescent girls always hated on the early developers (plus, I overheard way too much about their personal lives). She popped up robotically and offered me bigger sizes than I was comfortable with. Needless to say, my experience in my personal fitting room was awful.
Nothing fit, not even the bras I picked out. And the larger sizes the lady offered to me made me feel like I should have been breast feeding or something. Frugality is not worth this kind of humiliation. I tried on seven different styles (the new "Incredible" is nothing but terrible), two different sizes and made three trips to the fitting rooms. I drew the line when another employee upped the ante and brought me a 32 DD. What. The. Fuck. All I wanted was my beloved Ipex priced so well at only $38 - very frugal.
So I settled on either the Body by VS or the Angel bra. Not my favorite bras but they fit the best and were visually appealing. The best part is that they were both under $45 and with my coupons I got them both for under $35 plus a free pair of underwear (I do not believe in cheap bras if your Ta-Tas need support)! Definitely Fashion Friendly & Frugal. However, I was not 100% satisfied.
I got home and went directly to the VS website to investigate the claim that VS no longer makes the Ipex - which I had seen only a few months ago online. I found the bra I have been continuously purchasing online!... and for $38! Seriously? I was angry. Sooo, I bought a couple of the Ipex bras online to stock up since they may actually stop making these frugal wonders soon. My frugal shopping trip to VS was pooped on by unhelpful employees. I made a call to the store I visited to clarify their return policy and to state, for the record, I was mislead - nothing bad.
Now I am happily waiting on my shipment to arrive - nothing awkward about it! Plus, I found a super cute, printed, long-sleeved T-shirt dress for only $48. On top of that, I found an online coupon for $15 off $100 purchases; yay. Albeit an unsavory visit to Victoria's Secret, everything I purchased yesterday was very Fashion Friendly & Frugal.

*Images: www.victoriassecret.com

No comments:

Post a Comment