Saturday, January 2, 2010

Rent's Due: Project Grown Up Wardrobe

Once again, Happy New Year to all of my fellow frugal followers! I realized one of my resolutions (accidentally) this morning while walking four miles in the beautiful morning haze. Since I am stuck in lack-of-career Limbo, and since my field is fashion, I have decided to challenge myself to transform my casual wardrobe into a more work-friendly, grown-up wardrobe; project grown up wardrobe has begun.
My inspiration: a year ago in "Apparel Analysis" I was required to complete a makeover on someone in a transitional point in their career. I successfully transformed my mom from living in scrubs into her current work wardrobe full of mix and match tops and bottoms, including a few fabulous suits. I have been doomed to work in a not-so-flattering all black uniform due to the fact that our economy is still no so hot. However, I am taking full advantage of this opportunity to have fun with my wardrobe and branch out.
I cannot live without a great pair of jeans, and I settle for nothing less than higher end denim (one of the few items I have no shame in splurging on). However, I have realized that I have acquired all the basics one may need (as far as jeans go). I have the crazy flare, the high-waisted and wide-legged, straight leg, skinny, "Always Skinny", dark and light washes, distressed and perfectly tailored jeans. So, needless to say, I am not in need of any new denim-unless I fall head of heels in love with a very special pair.
While shopping yesterday I was also inspired to edit my wardrobe by a pair of taupe-colored, stretch, cotton twill pants at Old Navy. They were only $29.50 and fit like a glove! The great thing about these pants is that they can be dressed up or dressed down which supports my own Fashion, Friendly & Frugal advice.
I pride myself on my ability to create a versatile wardrobe, which I can mix and match quite effortlessly. Although I love dressing in the moment and feeling California casual, now is the time to challenge myself with my own transitional state from student to career fashionista. However, I will never lose my passion to be more like the fabulous Carrie Bradshaw. The next step: find a career in my field of Apparel Design and Merchandising!


What does your wardrobe look like? What do you favor when casually shopping? Do you prefer casual or dressy apparel?


*Images: http://img.dailymail.co.uk
http://2.bp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment