Monday, November 2, 2009

Rent's Due: Fall Obsessions

Fall is a season that I am not all too fond of, especially when it comes to fall fashions. I have grown to shy away from the infamous autumn color palettes of deep reds, greens, and browns. At the same time I have strategically stocked up on “cool weather” essentials during other seasons (whenever possible) in order to avoid cable knit sweaters, corduroy pants, and big clunky boots, which never flatter anyone’s calves. Over the years, my relationship with fall clothing lines has developed into the epitome of a love-hate relationship; I love converting to pants from shorts, and slipping into sweaters instead of tanks but I hate the typical hues and boring silhouettes. However, this fall season seems to be different… very different. I am suddenly obsessed with so many must-have items for this season!
My first obsession is with the “boyfriend fit”. Normally I would stray away from baggy, disheveled garments, but designers have hit the nail on the head this time around. Slouchy, lightweight tees are by far at the top of my list for fall. I am not a huge fan of those terrible, too big pants that are rolled at the ankle, but I strongly recommend investing in some oversized T-shirts. They are comfortable, a little bit revealing, and look spot on with skinny pants. The best part is that you can find a shirt to fit nearly any budget!
Number two on my list of fall obsessions is the boyfriend blazer. Although the black blazer and denim look was beyond popular in the 90s, this season’s styles bring a whole other element to the once popular ensemble. Most blazers are styled after menswear but tailored for women creating an unstoppable combination for fall. The boyfriend blazer can be worn with dresses, high-wasted skirts, short skirts, jeans, leggings, etc. Trying to stay slightly warm has never looked so chic.
My third obsession is color. Finally we are not stuck with purchasing something burgundy, forest green, deep orange, or charcoal. Blue is still red hot across the boards and designers are not shying away from its potential this season. So mix it up and spruce up your fall color palette!
Lastly, I am beyond obsessed with skinny jeans… real skinny denim. This oh so popular trend caught on a few years ago and has officially made its mark in fashion history. However, this fall the skinny jean has been reinvented with more stretch and sometimes shorter lengths. In particular, Gap’s “Always Skinny” denim is very appropriate for fall; extra slim, fabulous shades, and fantastic prices! So with the weather changing, modify your wardrobe this season to break the mold of the stereotypical autumn garb.
I am so excited about shopping this fall that I must literally leave my wallet locked up in my car while I go “shopping” (because taking it with my would be hazardous to my bank account albeit positive for the economy). So search out the not-so-typical fall items and change the way you see fall fashion and become obsessed yourselves!

*This article was published in "The Betty" at CSUN. I will post the link to the newsletter with this article in it once it is forwarded to me.


*Images: Gap.com
Nordstrom.com
Oldnavy.com
SteveMadden.com

No comments:

Post a Comment