Saturday, November 7, 2009

42nd and Counting


Sadly, it is Saturday night and I am shacked up in my house watching TV. Flu season is in full effect and I caught something, somewhere, from someone; hence, me at home recovering before I must work again. While flipping through my cable channels something on KQED caught my eye. I stopped and gave it a shot. The movie I stumbled upon was "42nd Street", a musical filmed in 1933. Apparently it is a classic and received four stars according to my "knowledgeable" cable company. What better cold remedy than a night of movies to get you through the flu season.
The plot is not what caught my attention, the dancing did not do it for me, and the singing was all right, but none of those aspects really jumped out at me. What mesmerized my focus was the apparel. Both the men and women were dressed from head-to-toe in what seemed to be perfectly made frocks (even in black and white film they all looked amazing!). The 1920s and 1930s are a few of my favorite moments in history as far as clothing goes. The once flapper-inspired get-ups transitioning into more sophisticated and tailored trends are beyond beautiful.
What always seems to amaze me about this time in fashion history is the quality of the clothing. Everything from the jumpers, double-breasted blazers, chest-high trousers, calf-length skirts, to the beautifully crafted capes and coats were flawless. Throughout the film I continuously asked myself, "why don't people dress up on a daily basis anymore?". It looked like such glamorous fun and the people always looked so elegant. I also wondered the entire eighty-something minutes, "what would these clothes look like in color". Such a tease!
When I watch films, TV, or anything else, I am most likely admiring the apparel (which was absolutely no exception tonight). "42nd Street" is a wonderful movie and the costumes are very memorable. If you ever get the opportunity, I recommend catching up on your fashion history with this classic, all while using your imagination to dream up the colors to go with every outfit.

What's your favorite fashion era, century, trend, or fad?


*Image: http://www.musicals101.com/News/42ndfilm.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment