Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Beetles... Oh dung!

This is far out there, even for me, and I know when to appreciate a designers' artistic talent and representation of their individual view. However, Wednesday night I discovered that insects have silently crept their way into our fashion accessories for the moment (I hope this is only a fad). You heard me right, insects have invaded the fashion world. Now many of us have seen the infamous "Top Model" episode with the ever annoying Jade and quick-to-be friends with the cockroach. Designers have experimented with insects before, but never like this.
My first encounter with the big, shiny, black, be-jeweled beetle was Wednesday night while watching the end of "So You Think You Can Dance". It is addicting to tune in just to see what the stylists have picked out each week for both the contestants and the host. However, their wardrobe choices have been a little odd lately, to say the least. Cat Deeley (the host) is a very pretty woman and she wears clothes very well, but some stylist must have had it out for her this week. While I was focusing on the overall look she unfortunately rocked tonight, I noticed she had a sparkly black hair piece. I thought, how odd it is to be placed on the side of her head like that. I took a closer look and sure enough it was a beetle. Wow...
Next up was Glee. To make a long story short, one of the male members of the glee club was auditioning for a lead vocal in an upcoming event. He dressed to the nines in his black pants, black leather boots, and a black and blue striped sweater... with a beetle as a broach!!! WTF? Two shows in a row? Do they only have one stylist on Fox? First there is a bug in someone's hair, then there is a bug on someone's sweater?! Did I miss something?
It was intriguing to see how the stylists used the beetle differently. However, I do not think that I will be jumping on this band wagon any time in the near future. I like my accessories void of creepy crawlies and full of life (in a very different way than the insects used this past Wednesday evening).

Did you catch either of these shows? Have you seen anything like this and would you wear an insect accessory? Post your thoughts!


*Image: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEikJixUPDNafuzygVup9rNXdsIpFg04RM80IU_uadaQHK3m96UQJm0WhZimPQFXmh6xfUX7XK3uEyQYFIoZWx9L7FvAtmf990hnuX05jUEQgljutIkBjqLF0Ed96l8giBuCDMiLR0zhSJJ3/s320/lavender+beetle.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment