Friday, May 14, 2010

I Heart Zappos!

I am a huge fan of frugal fashion and quality customer service, but the two do not always go hand-in-hand. Usually, when I am browsing a store like Forever 21, I am left to my own devices and the sales associates focus on folding and re-folding tables full of discount garments. However, I recently ventured out of my comfort zone and started a relationship with Zappos.com - why I did not do this sooner is unbeknownst to me!
I was in the mood for a pair of summer sandals and I simply began my search at Zappos to see what my options were. I had no idea the kind of heaven I had re-discovered. I used to window shop at Zappos.com, but I never fully committed to purchasing anything because I was always too caught up in my affinity for Steve Madden. However, there has been a shift in the shoe universe and Steve Madden is no longer my number one.
I recently had a very sobering experience with Steve Madden online which left a very sour taste in my mouth. Now, some of their shoes may not be all that Fashion, Friendly & Frugal, but they always used to fit me perfectly and were always just the right height. A little over a year ago I noticed the quality of their shoes was slowly dropping along with their customer service. Ordering and/or returning shoes online with them is horrendous! I attempted to get shoes for my commencement ceremony last year, but the pair I tried on in the store was falling apart and all scuffed up and the pair I ordered online just did not fit. Needless to say, I was very disappointed but optimistic this was a one time thing.
Within the last six months, I have been visiting Steve Madden stores with zero luck. Every pair of shoes I have gushed over and tried on, have simply not fit correctly - and usually look pretty beat up. I used to be a size 8 across the boards, but recently I have tried on everything from a 7 up through a 9 with them. I know I am high maintenance when it comes to shoes, but when you are spending upwards of $100 on a pair of brand new shoes, you deserve to have a brand new pair.
A few months ago they released a pair of platform pumps which resembled YSL's ridiculously sky high confections worn by, none other than my favorite starlet, Christina Aguilera. I wanted them, I had to have them, but they were only available for pre-order. Eventually I ordered them in a beautiful blush hue, but they never came. Their pre-order date had passed and so had my shipment date. I contacted customer service and was continuously given the run-around. By the time my shoes arrived, I was agitated and beyond eager to finally get the chance to wear them. They did not fit. They were disgusting. They had water marks - they were suede - a ripped sticker on the bottom of one shoe, and looked as if they had been handled a whole lot. I was absolutely disappointed and frustrated.
I sadly returned the shoes, upset with Steve Madden and their lack of quality and absence of care. Their customer service people did give me a future discount, but it is hard to return to a company that has been consistently out-to-lunch. I wish I could use my discount at Zappos.com!
This is where Zappos comes in. After all the crap I went through with Steve Madden, I decided to branch out and give my business to another shoe company. Not only did I find out how amazing Zappos.com is, but I purchased the most beautiful pair of Michael Kors wedges - see below. They offer free shipping and returns, they upgraded my second order to overnight shipping, and answered all of my questions and concerns quickly about my return. It is one thing to have a good product and it is a whole other thing to have good customer service, when you combine the two - successfully - the outcome is unstoppable.
Yes, I am gushing about my love for Zappos.com because I am one satisfied customer. So, the next time you are thinking about investing in a new pair of Fashion, Friendly & Frugal shoes, check out Zappos.com, I promise you, you will not be disappointed!

*Image: www.schoolclubrewards.com

No comments:

Post a Comment