Thursday, April 29, 2010

Discarded and Oh So Divine

I'm back! I know, I have been on a bit of a hiatus and have had a HUGE case of writer's block. I have had absolutely no motivation to post anything, whatsoever. I am sorry to those of you who actually follow my blog!
Anyways, if any of you are familiar with Discarded to Divine, then you immediately recognized my title, referencing the amazing organization. It is a San Francisco based non-profit organization which works with the St. Vincent De Paul Society in an effort to transform the discarded. Not only do they throw a spectacular charity fashion show annually, but they collect discarded clothing for "discarded" people with the hopes of creating something divine. One of the speakers last night explained it a lot better than that, but that is the gist of the organization.
Oddly enough, I have never heard of this event. I grew up near San Francisco, attended an apparel merchandising and design program near Los Angeles, and one of their educational partners is FIDM. I have no clue how I missed any of this! Needless to say, I am fortunate to have finally been informed about this charitable event and I am so lucky I was able to attend.
The night began with a silent auction made up of amazing creations by fashion students, designers, and even a few guest designers - Project Runway's Sweet P. and most recently, Jay Nicolas Sario. Two things stood out to me, a cluttered eclectic recycled necklace, a beaded silk tulip dress with curves for days. Amidst the crowded room filled with people and fashion, I spotted Jay Nicolas Sario. The room was dark and I had already used one of my drink tickets, but I still recognized the talented designer. I took full advantage of the opportunity and got a photo with the designer I had been rooting for all season long.
After the silent auction came the fashion show followed by the live auction. The Emcee was hilarious and set the mood for a great auction. The show began and I was beyond impressed. There were so many beautifully crafted garments, but only two truly grabbed my attention. First was a military-inspired vest and skirt by Jay Nicolas Sario which was strong yet feminine and fun. The second was a flawless beige dress hidden by the most magnificent white coat - which was auctioned off in a fight to the death for $1,200. Fabulous.
I left feeling motivated and re-connected to the fashion world. It is officially almost a year since I graduated with my degree in apparel design and merchandising and it sometimes feels as if the fashion world is slowly slipping through my fingers. However, last night revived my passion for fashion. Discarded to Divine is a wonderful charity which shares an incredible evening with anyone interested in being a part of something so positive.

*Images: my personal photos
http://discardedtodivine.org



No comments:

Post a Comment